An introductory letter of myself

Dear Professor Brad and my classmates,

This is an introductory letter on myself to allow you to know me better.


My name is Choy Phui Yi, also known as Stephanie. I am currently a Year 1 student at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) pursuing a degree with honors in robotics system engineering. I started my engineering journey at the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) with a higher national ITE certificate in mechatronics engineering before continuing a diploma in automation and mechatronics systems at Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP).


My interest in engineering does not spark overnight, nor did I gain a sudden interest in hobbies. Back then, I was not sure about my path with an interest in mathematics and chemistry. My path was also limited, with only a chemical course to choose from while it only accept the elites. My hyperactive personality makes me choose to accept the fate of an engineer, making mechatronics a starting point to able to learn the three typical engineering paths, which are electronics, electrical and mechanical. I slowly gained interest in what I learn and do, gained interest in programming which able to compete in Worldskills in the mechatronics sector as a programmer in my ITE days. During my six months internship with another six months extension as an autonomous engineer in my polytechnic days, I was able to apply a small part of what I learned, which is a robotics automatic system with ubuntu software running Linux. This sparked an interest that made me pursue robotics systems.


Communication is a skill that I am too not perfect at it. Even though I do strike fear while making a public speech, I will have a tendency to overcome it with confidence in what I want to say by understanding the topic beforehand. Examples are like giving instructions or briefing the audience who has yet to understand the subject. I also have bad pronunciation while giving a speech, which will also affect my confidence in the spotlight. However, I still do use a ‘think before you say’ technique that has been taught by my parents since young, so I do hope that I could grow my skill set in thought with critical thinking and pronunciation with this module.


In terms of writing, my grammar and spelling flaws with limited vocabulary might get in the way. Even though English is my primary language for conversing, I do tend to be really weak in sentence structure and proper explanations without examples. Singlish is not an obstacle for me as I had seldom spoken it in normal situations since young, but I could see that writing long-winded sentences to prove a point is still holding a huge problem for me, as you will notice after reading this far in this letter. I would hope I could really improve on those bits to make my writing skill to near perfection.


Communication skill plays an important part in everyday life, so let us hope we could improve the basics to improve the quality of life!


Best regards,

Stephanie Choy Phui Yi


Comments

  1. Thank you Stephanie for giving us the chance to know you better, just a few minor things to point out;
    1."My interest in engineering does(Verb tense)",the word 'did' should be used instead.
    2."make my writing skill to near perfection"(Preposition)
    3.excessive use of "really" in a few sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Stephanie,

    Thank you for this detailed letter and the personal sharing. I really appreciate how the content is well aligned with the assignment brief, the organization is fairly straight forward, and the language use generally effective. You've done a fine job providing support information for each specific content area that you mention, allowing us readers to gain a good understanding of who you are.

    From the reflection on your comm skills strength and weakness, it's easy to see that you have great potential for becoming an effective communicator because you know what you need and you have strong motivation to improve. You also mention your evolving interest in programming and then robotics. That's all great, and as you know, the ability to communicate your ideas is essential for these and related fields.

    There are a couple areas of language use in this letter that you can improve upon review:
    1. lack of clarity
    -- Back then,... > (back when?) ?
    -- My path was also limited, with only a chemical course to choose from while it only accept the elites. > (Which path? What does it refer to?)
    -- ...making mechatronics a starting point to able to learn... > (for whom to be able?) ?
    -- ...which able to compete in Worldskills in the mechatronics sector as a programmer in my ITE days.... > (which allowed who to compete?) ?

    2. Phrasing
    -- Communication is a skill that I am too not perfect at it. > ?
    Communication is a skill that I am not perfect at.
    -- Singlish is not an obstacle for me as I had seldom spoken it in normal situations since young... > (verb tense error) Singlish is not an obstacle for me as I HAVE seldom spoken it in normal situations since young....

    Let's work o this.

    I look forward to learning more from you this term.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment